ON THE FIRST FRIDAY of the month, provided no feast, ferial or octave takes precedence, it is permitted to say one solemn votive Mass of the Sacred Heart, using the Mass of the Feast of the Sacred Heart . . . and commemorating only a double of second class or greater ferial. Common imperata (prayers that an Ordinary may add to the Mass in his diocese) and prayers after Mass are omitted. The Profession of Faith is used in a sung Mass and omitted in a low Mass. The use of this solemn votive Mass requires that there be some devotion to the Sacred Heart, to be specified by the local bishop, performed in the forenoon.
Appearing to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, Our Lord asked that, in reparation for the ingratitude of men, He be honored for His love under the emblem of His human heart. He made twelve specific promises of reward for such honor. In particular, "To those who will go to Communion on the First Friday of the month, during nine consecutive months, I promise the grace of final perseverance."
--From the Maryknoll Missal, 1957 edition
The 12 Promises of Our Lord to St. Margaret Mary Alacoque Regarding Those Who Receive Communion on Nine First Fridays
- I will give them all the graces necessary in their state of life.
- I will establish peace in their houses.
- I will comfort them in all their afflictions.
- I will be their strength during life and above all during death.
- I will bestow a large blessing upon all their undertakings.
- Sinners shall find in My Heart the source and the infinite ocean of mercy.
- Tepid souls shall grow fervent.
- Fervent souls shall quickly mount to high perfection.
- I will bless every place where a picture of My Heart shall be set up and honored.
- I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.
- Those who shall promote this devotion shall have their names written in My Heart, never to be blotted out.
- I promise you in the excessive mercy of My Heart that My all-powerful love will grant to all those who communicate on the First Friday in nine consecutive months the grace of final penitence; they shall not die in My disgrace nor without receiving their Sacraments; My Divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.